March Athlete of the Month: Tiffany Lam

Tiffany Lam is an outstJuliana Hartleyanding student who leads the dance team through their cheers and routines. Beginning her dance career at age five, Lam has grown up dancing with the exception of a short break starting in Elementary School and ending in eighth grade when she rediscovered the art and fell in love with it again. Following this reconciliation, Lam began practicing dance. By the time she reached high school, Lam tried out for Wilcox’s dance team, making the team her sophomore year. After her start on the team, Lam’s time spent dancing increased and as a soft spoken and quiet person, dance gives Lam the “freedom to express emotion.”

Despite her “quiet, sweet demeanor,” Coach Laura Akin saw a “strong, confident, organized leader” within Lam. Coach Akin noticed Lam’s bold leadership qualities during what was Lam’s sophomore year. It was then that Akin knew “[Tiffany] would lead the team her senior year.” Now in her final year at Wilcox, Lam has embraced her role as captain and because of the importance in her job, Akin refers to Lam as the “backbone of the dance team.” According to her coach, Lam is responsible for leading the team through their warm-ups, cleaning and perfecting routines, making decisions and being a positive role model. Lam embodies the values of dance team at Wilcox and her character is key in the eyes of her coach. Without such a character, teammates would not have such an outgoing role model to admire.

As Lam continues to shape the dance team, she is molded by the opportunities given to her through her position on the team. One special moment in Lam’s career was the chance to perform during the Super Bowl 50 halftime show alongside renowned artists Coldplay, Beyoncé, and others. With the event being held less than three miles from the Wilcox campus, this was most definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. Calling the experience, “exceptional” Lam reflects on the joyous moment spent dancing in front of thousands of people live, and millions of people behind their own home TV screens. This opportunity not only gave Lam a fantastic memory, but a chance to grow relationships with her teammates and coach, something Lam values when it comes to dance team.

The experiences offered to dance team have created special bonds throughout the group of girls. Calling their relationship one that “transcends grade levels,” Lam says. “[This year] is the closest I’ve felt with the team.” Through the support of her teammates, Lam has learned how to “take [on] more leadership roles.” Freshman on dance team, Alexandra Wallace refers to her as an inspiration nd says that as a result of her exceptional leadership, “The team really soars. She does everything possible to make our dances perfect, and I admire her ability to unify our team.” Coach Akin says, Lam’s “unwavering dedication to the team” allows her fellow dancers to depend on her without a shadow of a doubt that she will come through for them.

Moreover, Lam’s amazing talents go beyond the dance studio. As a student taking four AP classes as well as yearbook, Lam keeps a tight and busy schedule. Between her studies and time spent dancing, Lam spends her time with friends and family, often playing piano which she “enjoys to calm [her] mind.” Additionally, Lam is involved in activities around Wilcox including Fantastics and Homecoming. As an officer of Key Club and a member of CSF, Interact, and similar clubs, Lam spends a decent amount of time giving back to those around her. Not only is Lam a phenomenal dancer and leader, she is an elite student that Wilcox should be proud to have on campus.