Diversity around Wilcox and the World

Wilcox’s first annual Multi-Cause Week, from March 21st to the 25th, was an amazing success. Students were essentially encouraged to give back to their community (the cause portion of the week) and to share their vibrant cultures (Multicultural Day). In the past, Multicultural Week consisted of just food faire and the Multicultural rallies. In order to create a more wholesome and impactful event, Multi-Cause Week was born. This year, largely due to time constraints, Cause-related festivities were kept simple, yet provided a strong basis for this week to evolve in depth in the future.

The week began with Education Day on Monday and Motivation Day on Tuesday. These days focused on introducing causes to students, such as the schoolwide Cash for Kids fundraiser. Third period classes were encouraged to donate to Covenant House: an Oakland-based organization dedicated to providing opportunities and stability to homeless, trafficked, and disadvantaged youth. This differed from similar school-wide fundraisers, as students and staff members were encouraged to donate with no prize incentives. Instead, Wilcox came together in unity to give back to a cause. Wilcox strives to bring stability to our lives through education, so having the ability to contribute to the stability of other children was so rewarding. Within four days, Wilcox raised $471.01 for this amazing charity.

An important element of Multi-Cause Week was the “I Fight For” whiteboard campaign. Whiteboards with the words “I Fight For” and expo markers sat on a table in the quad, beckoning students to write down a cause they were passionate about. Senior Kelly Nishimura and junior Lily Solomon, two talented photographers of Wilcox, took pictures of students with these whiteboards. On social media, students used these photos to tell stories and spread awareness for causes that resonated with them, such as LGBTQ+ rights, ending animal cruelty, homeless people rights, Huntington’s disease, gender equality, Black Lives Matters, and more. It was truly inspiring to hear student voices on such prevalent and vital topics of society. Social media is often used for negative purposes, but students strived to promote empowerment and education instead.

Service Day on Wednesday was a huge success, as well. During lunch, students flocked to the middle of the quad to create care packages for homeless people. Each care packages included basic hygiene items, water, food and a motivational note—supplies all donated by Wilcox students and staff. Certain care packages for females contained feminine hygiene products, which are important for homeless women to have. A schoolwide event where students of all backgrounds coming together to benefit the lives of others was truly touching to see. Over 76 care packages were made that day, meaning 76 homeless people were given vital supplies to get through their difficult day. Miles Wolf, a senior and ASB Vice President, then took these care packages to Sacred Heart: an organization that will distribute the care packages. In addition, Best Buddies Club encouraged students to sign a “Spread the Word to End the R-Word” at lunch, and Jamba Juice was sold after school to benefit the American Cancer Society.

The amazing week culminated with Clubs Day and Multicultural Day. These days celebrated the diverse and holistic clubs of Wilcox by encouraging students to wear club attire on Thursday. The Multicultural Rally, hosted by ASB Clubs Commissioners Madi Nguyen and Susie Warner, was breathtaking. Cultural clubs—such as Japanese, Indian, LSU, Best Buddies, French, Touch of Aloha, BSU, VSA, FASA, Korean, and more—displayed the costumes, music, and dances of their cultures in unique performances. Each club poured their hard work and dedication into these performances. Junior and VSA President, Brandon Tran, noted that he was “especially proud of VSA this year” for their participation. They had “over thirty active participants.” Each club had a wide variety of students performing and it was amazing to see such strong connections to the cultures of the world. The night rally, in particular, was one of the most successful Multicultural Nights Wilcox has had. The main gym was filled packed with parents, students, alumni and community members who came to watch.

Overall, the first annual Multi-Cause Week embodied the love and spirit of Wilcox. Shalin Shah, a junior and ASB Publicity Commissioner, commented that it “felt good knowing that we, as Wilcox students, could make a big difference—even as young members of society.” In addition, Senior and ASB Vice-President Brittani Garrison expressed that Multi-Cause Week “should be a Wilcox tradition.” No doubt, this week allowed Chargers to spread awareness, initiate change, and contribute to a brighter tomorrow.