The Scribe

Who’s Ready for Vine 2?!

Tanvi Siddhaye, Staff Writer

Six second videos are taking over the internet. If you take a look at kids opening up their phones on Instagram or YouTube, you are likely to see a wide grin take over their face as they are most likely watching a vine. In case you have not heard, vines are six second bursts of art consisting of people making jokes, pranking others, or just doing wildly outrageous things, like kicking rubber chickens around, wearing Spiderman suits, and much more. Vines were originally posted on an app called Vine, which closed down last year. Even though the original platform of Vine is dead, vines are living on stronger than ever

Vine closed down mainly because “Instagram swallowed it,” as New York Times put it. Once Instagram added its video feature, vines were shared through seemingly every platform but Vine, as it lived through Instagram videos, YouTube, and Facebook. While Instagram stole views from the app, the stars of vine moved their way onto YouTube to make money from a much more stable source, New York Times explains. Viners were not monetized through vine, according to Daily Cal News, so YouTube was a more stable income source for a lot of Viners. We still see this today, as popular viners like Jake Paul, Liza Koshy, and more have launched their way into YouTube careers from Vine.

As Vine is still very much alive through other social media platforms than itself, there is talk of a Vine 2. In February, Dom Hofmann, the creator of vine, officially announced that he is going to release an app called Vine 2. There is not much known about the app yet, but the uncertainty from Vine creators is very clear. King Bach, once the number one creator on vine, tweeted, “Vine 2? What?? But I was having so much fun in retirement.” Of course, the former king of vine could be kidding, but Vine 2 is being met with a lot of uncertainty from lots of other viners as well.

According to Tech Crunch, Vine 2 is reaching out to former viners to establish ties with content creators in order to ensure their commitment to the platform. Vine 2 will also be stricter about copyrighted materials in videos, reflecting the actions of YouTube, a very popular and successful video website. This will ensure that people will not take the credit for other people’s work. Creators that have moved from vine to YouTube now reap the benefits of switching to a popular monetized platform, so it will take work to convince them to go for Vine 2, the app hopes to take back some of its creators as well as its views.

Regardless of how successful or popular Vine 2 becomes, vines have proved to be a strong and resilient form of entertainment that have transcended the boundaries of social media platforms.  Even though some might find them stupid and unnecessary, vines are truly works of art that we have the ability to interpret and appreciate.