The Benefits of Many Languages

January 7, 2016

To many students at Wilcox, foreign language is just another fifty-minute class period in one exhausting school day. However, many do not realize that being multilingual opens doors to exciting experiences and opportunities beyond high school. Such benefits can include a higher chance of college acceptance, more career options, and opportunities to study abroad. Individuals can also enhance their understanding of different cultures and appreciation for international literature, art, music and dance. Travel to foreign countries is significantly simplified, and lifelong friendships are formed with ease. While it does take effort and motivation to learn a language, the advantages are truly endless.

The Santa Clara Unified School District only requires one year of a foreign language for high school graduation, but most colleges and universities require at least two with more strongly recommended. Colleges take into consideration whether students have dedicated time and effort to a single language throughout their high school career when reviewing applications. Admissions officers show interest towards multilingual students, especially when considering the diversity they want on their university campus. Colleges also pay attention to applicants who score a three or above on a language AP exam, as it is evidence of dedication and passion towards language and culture. That being said, colleges recognize that not everyone shares the same interests, but having foreign language on your transcript definitely helps you to accomplish your goals.

Businesses often hire employees who speak multiple languages for communication with international customers. One experienced business professional says, “The ability to demonstrate knowledge of the international cultures that your company is doing business with makes you extremely competitive in the business world. As more companies grow internationally, the need for multilingual talent will only increase.” However, business is not the only industry with a need for multilingual employees. Government agencies, scientific research, international law, and engineering also desire workers who speak multiple languages for a variety of jobs. Knowing languages gives you a competitive edge and can even lead to a higher salary in the long run. Numerous studies have shown that employers generally pay bilingual workers more than monolingual workers. For example, a study by Rosetta Stone suggested that bilingual employees were paid ten percent more on average than their monolingual counterparts. Long story short, speaking many languages can only help your career in the future.

The world is filled many different languages, but only knowing one significantly closes your perspective. (Courtesy of Courtesy of Misio8675309 via WikiCommons).

Traveling and study abroad programs are also benefits of speaking multiple tongues. Many colleges offer opportunities for students to study in a foreign country for a period of time, and businesses often seek employees who are willing to work in international offices. Knowing the native language deeply enhances one’s understanding and appreciation of their new environment. Traveling and adapting to new surroundings can also be extremely stressful, but the ability to communicate effectively creates a more enjoyable and less chaotic experience for you and the people with you. It also enables relationships to be formed quickly, which is an essential component to successfully adjusting to a new culture. Spanish teacher Mrs. Woo says, “Learning a language is not just grammar but cultural learning. As a Spanish speaker, I can go to 20 countries in the world and speak to just about anyone! I can swap stories with someone here in the Bay Area who speaks Spanish or visit Mi Pueblo. I can chat with a person who lives in a coastal village on an island in Panama or some urbanite in the streets of Barcelona! I can read recipes in Spanish and make Paella or Lomo Saltado. It is a fun, exciting, wonderful thing to know another language.”

Studies have shown that knowing more than one language also improves mental health. According to the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, multiple studies suggest a correlation between bilingualism and cognitive abilities like memory, problem solving, and verbal skills. Moreover, once one language is learned, additional languages are acquired quicker and similar languages are easier to understand.

So many people lead sheltered, unexciting lives without exposure to different cultures and ways of life. However, learning a new language destroys these walls. Mr. Lack, another Spanish teacher here at Wilcox, commented, “Learning to speak another language changes you as a person. It’s one thing to learn it within the classroom walls, but once you’ve actually gone out into the streets of another country, meeting new friends, working with new people, you see how small the world really is but also how big it is. You see the world through an entirely new perspective.” Multilingualism allows us to break past cultural barriers and discover the true beauty and wonder of our diverse world.

The Scribe • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Scribe Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *