Charging into Charger Power

When most people think of P.E. they are reminded with the depressing memory of long runs, endless exercises in the hot sun, and huddles of students all dressed in same sweaty, bland grey P.E. uniform. But in reality, P.E. is a revolutionary way to expose students who don’t participate in active extracurricular activities to the world of exercise and physical and mental health. Once we get over the mental obstacle of being forced to exercise at school, we can really appreciate improving our health with our friends and classmates by our side. Charger Power is a prime example of teachers at Wilcox motivating their students to push themselves to their best abilities. Charger Power creates competition and at the same time support among students, which pushes them to their furthest point of exercise. As Charger Power begins this March, each P.E. class prepares for the upcoming tests.

As well as Charger Power students at Wilcox are also tested for physical fitness testing (PFT). This testing is only used on 5th graders, 7th graders, and 9th graders. Therefore, only the freshmen at Wilcox are affecting by both fitness testing and Charger Power testing. Physical fitness testing consists of six fitness areas, in which different tests are applied to measure physical ability. The first fitness area is Aerobic Capacity. According to the California Department of Education, the three tests used to measure students’ abilities in this category include: the PACER, one-mile run, and the walk test. The second category is Abdominal Strength and Endurance, which includes the curl-up test. Followed by the Upper Body Strength and Endurance category which includes: the push-up, the modified pull-up, and the flexed-arm hang. The fourth category measures students’ body composition, whereas the fifth and six categories test the flexibility of students’ backs and hamstrings. Overall, every one of these tests keeps students healthy, tracks their physical abilities, and prepares them for Charger Power Testing.

Just like Physical Fitness Testing, Charger Power Testing has six tests in which students’ physical abilities are measured. On the other hand, Charger Power doesn’t test the average physical abilities of teens, instead it pushes students to compete for Charger Power levels. If a student scores an A on every test they are rewarded a black charger power shirt. If a student has a mix of A’s and B’s they are rewarded a grey shirt. Each test measures physical abilities, but increases the difficulty level by putting a time limit on each set of exercises. For example, girls have to run the mile in seven minutes to receive an A.Whereas, during fitness testing, the healthy fitness zone is higher than seven minutes. Therefore, Charger Power is a harder set of tests that tests physical ability with time limits to push students to their strongest points.

These six tests include: the sit and reach, curl ups, shuttle run, jump reach, mile run, and pull ups. According to Ms. Lujan’s Charger Power Testing Scale, each test is divided up into six different grade levels. For the sit and reach, an A for boys is 15” and up, and for girls an A is 17” and up. The curl up test requires boys to 55 curl ups and girls to do 50 in two minutes for an A. Other tests include specific times for exercise to be completed. Overall, each test is very challenging and pushes students to complete certain exercises in the given amounts of time.

Even though Charger Power promotes and pushes the boundaries of students’ physical fitness, it also inspires emotional support among students. It takes a lot for students to stop their school day, change their mind set, and find the courage to push their physical abilities. School creates a perfect environment for students to be surrounded by supportive friends and peers as they tackle these challenging tests. “I always feel supported by classmates during P.E,” says Katie Mei, a student participating in Charger Power.

Overall, Charger Power Testing and Physical Fitness Testing bring students together and push their physical and mental limits. All of these tests highlight each student’s abilities. The Charger Power tests are slightly more challenging due to the added time limits. However, it is still important to strive to one’s best ability of physical strength throughout every test. Best of luck Chargers!