Wilcox’s First Annual Multi-Cause Week

Multi-Cause week was announced at the Spring Spirit Rally on Mar. 18 and it is an event that falls on the week of the Multicultural rally (Mar. 21 to Mar. 25). This year will mark the first time Wilcox has held Multi-Cause Week, and it is a week in which students participate in a plethora of events dedicated to both helping the community and cherishing their cultures. Samia Abbasi, ASB President, explained that the root of Multi-Cause Week came from, realizing “that events like Fantastics and Homecoming are very fun and that’s great. But what impact do we have on our community and how are we using our stable education to better the others’ lives? Cause week blossomed from that idea that we can make a difference as a school.”

Monday will be Education Day, in which ASB will inform students about various causes they are promoting. Coin Wars, which will be going on until Thursday, will fund the Covenant House, which is charity that brings shelter, food, and more to the homeless and trafficked youth. The rules of Coin Wars are essentially the same of that of the one Interact hosts, except all points will be positive, meaning you cannot add dollar to other third period classes’ coin boxes, and that there are no incentives –the motivation is donating out of the goodness of your heart.

Tuesday will be Motivation Day, which will be hosted by ARK club. Students can write kind notes in the quad which will be dispersed throughout the school.

Wednesday will be Service Day, which is primarily devoted to express respect and love for individuals involved in the Wilcox community who have had cancer influence their lives in any way, shape, or form. Students will be bombarded with a multitude of ways to give back to the community, including making care packages for the homeless, which will take place during lunch, sport pink clothing to promote breast cancer awareness, and buy Jamba Juice for $4 at the track meet to support the American Cancer Society. Additionally, Best Buddies will be hosting their annual Spread the Word to End the Word poster signing to pledge the end of the use of the r-word (“retard”). March is Best Buddies month, and both pledging and signing up for the Friendship Walk at www.bestbuddiesfriendshipwalk.org under “Wilcox Winners”, which will take place at Golden Gate Park, are ways to show your support.

Thursday is Club Day, and this is when you can broadcast your support for a club by wearing any club attire. However, it isn’t limited to that –you can wear sports and spirit attire as well. Coin Wars also ends on this day, so bring as much spare change you have as to support the Covenant House for one last time.

Friday is the day of the Multicultural Rally, which is both during the school day and at 7 pm in the gym. On this day, you can wear clothing that represents your or another culture.

It is encouraged that everyone participates in this amazing event. Samia Abbasi, ASB President, exclaimed, “It’s important for students to look beyond their bubble of awareness and understand what’s happening in the world.” You can further demonstrate your support for Multi-Cause Week by using the hashtag #WHSMultiCause2016 when posting on social media.