ASBe Ready for Elections

ASB elections are right around the corner. On April 1st, every Wilcox student will file into the gym for the ASB election assemblies. Around twenty candidates will each read their one minute speeches about why they wish to be part of ASB, and the students will vote for their favorite candidates to lead the student body.
ASB stands for Associated Student Body, which is an all-grade leadership class that is overseen by Mrs. MacDonald and Ms. Lash during fourth period. ASB officers do many different things, but mostly plan and organize Wilcox events and activities.
ASB president Samia Abbasi said, “ASB is fast-paced but an amazing experience. We’re always moving from one event to the next and juggle many projects at once. You learn so much as a leader and about yourself as an individual. It’s definitely a learning experience regardless of how many years you’ve been on ASB. Though we have our differences, ASB members respect one another and treat each other like siblings. And Mrs. MacDonald and Ms. Lash are the best ASB moms.”
To run for ASB, you must have at least a 2.5 grade point average and recommendations from all of your teachers. Once you are elected, you must maintain a 2.0 GPA to continue as a part of ASB. There are not too many requirements to run for ASB, but there are specific traits that certainly help an ASB officer. Ms. Lash shared that professionalism and teamwork are key for an ASB officer. “They have to enjoy working with people because you work as a team. There are lots of projects and you need to work together to get it done.” Abbasi added, “Many qualities contribute to being a successful ASB member. Organization, being a good listener, taking initiative, charisma, being able to listen to your heart as well as the student body. Perseverance and passion are also vital. Being a good public speaker, role model and diplomat are also key characteristics I look for in a potential ASB member.”
There are many amazing candidates who hope to be on ASB next school year and are preparing to start campaigning soon. Rafael Tolosa said, “I want to run for ASB because I believe that I can use my leadership experience to create a better student atmosphere and overall, an improved reputation of Wilcox. As Sophomore Class President this year, I have a year of ASB and Council experience under my belt, so I am aware of the skill and work ethic it takes to become an involved, spirited, and useful member on ASB.”
Freshman Ella Jevtic is interested in ASB because, “I want to make changes from what I have already seen. I want my four years at Wilcox to really count, and I feel ASB will let me share my thoughts.”
Freshman Joseph Pham said he is running for ASB because he wants “to gain some leadership skills and I want to meet more people. And it’s a good way to get involved in the school.”
People running for ASB have different strategies for campaigning, whether it be posters or social media. Junior Brianna Plowman stated, “I want to make posters and backpack tags.” Some candidates choose to campaign by themselves, like Pham, while others run with partners.
Tolosa commented, “For my campaign, I will go all out on publicity, whether it is on social media, through word of mouth, fliers, or giant posters. As a running mate of Susie Warner, we creatively came up with the slogan ‘Stick With the Right Team’ (SWRT, like Susie Warner and Rafael Tolosa). I will also use backpack tags so others can spread the word about our campaign.”
Abbasi has high expectations for the 2016-2017 ASB class. “I am excited to see what amazing things they do. I hope they continue to weave the past, present, and future into their events and projects, taking knowledge from what worked and didn’t work to build solid events that will last into the future. I hope they continue to strive for a warm relationship with the student body and staff members. And just have fun. It’s all about having fun and creating fun for others.”