Multi Madness

Wilcox’s annual multicultural fair will take place on March 25th. Let’s take a spin around the globe to see what Wilcox’s cultural clubs are working hard to prepare for us. Many clubs participate in the fair, including Black Student Union, Latino Student Union, Touch of Aloha, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, French, Indian, Filipino American Student Association, and more. Students wear breathtaking cultural clothes, each specific to the dance, and perform in front of the school. It is a time where people can show their love for different cultures and truly embrace the diversity of our world.

For many students, this is their first year participating in this extravagant event. Jade Bose, publicist of the French club is excited for Multi this year. “The French Club did not participate last year so it surprises people that we’re doing it this year.” Bose, like many others, are nervous about the dances. “Well for me personally,” says Bose, “It is my first time performing and choreographing a dance so I am excited to see how it will turn out once we finish practicing.” With the event coming up, many clubs are cutting it close. Bose adds to her stress about participation from her club, but focuses on the brighter side: “When people do show up, we bond together a lot. People always show up with food and props and dancing tips and performance ideas, which especially help me on my first time.” Getting ready for such a huge event bonds club members and starts new friendships. Bose deeply expressed how being a part of a cultural club brings out the best in people and shows great dedication.

Similar to Bose, Lisa Jyung from Korean Club is also extremely excited yet nervous for this lively and spirited event. She said, “Since it is my last year of multi, I’m looking forward to having fun and showing other people what it’s like to be part of a culture.” The senior finds multi to be more than just dancing, “It’s a special event where I could interact and bond with other members that are willing to participate and prepare a big show with people with similar interests!”

Last year VSA did three traditional dances- fan, lion, and umbrella. This year’s show will be different, as explained by senior and VSA vice president, Kimberly Bui. She said that the club will be doing two traditional dances and one modern couples dance. Bui is involved with multi because she loves the concept of it, commenting, “I think multi allows other people to get a glimpse or idea of what each culture is like.”

Even though multi seems to be an all positive experience, many club members agree on one point. They find it to be difficult to recruit members to come out and practice, Japanese club officer, Luca Matsumoto explains this, “The struggle is to get people to show up. It’s pretty difficult because of the differences in people’s motivations and how well they would like the club to perform at the rally.” Also Bose faces the same problem, “Preparing is a little stressful since some people don’t show up and we really need them in the few short weeks of practice we have left.”

Additionally, junior Davis Ngo talks passionately about his experiences with multi. He is a part of both Korean and VSA. He said, “For me and for many, the best part about MultiCultural is of course watching all of the dances!” Ngo loves the communicative aspect of multi, as well as the idea of a team effort. “I would say that preparing for multi is pretty fun and enjoyable because you can laugh and joke with others all the while learning new dances. Another aspect that I really enjoy is also learning the actual dance, it’s something new to do for someone that has never danced before. Everyone is welcome to participate in Multi! I say, participate if you can smile!” Ngo’s energy sends positive vibes and encourages people to engage in this fun event.

Multi is a great opportunity for the diverse charger campus. Students often think of assemblies as a bore, but this exposition of talent gets many students energized. Freshman in LSU explained, “I am especially excited to see all of the dances that the club has worked so hard to prepare for.” The new class of 2016 is pumped up to witness this event, as are the returning classes. Mark your calendars for March 25th, as it will be a day (and night) to be there for!