Student Safety in School

Teachers are responsible for the education of our generation. They are responsible for teaching us the knowledge that will hopefully enrich our lives and assist us in our future endeavors. However, many people don’t know that our teachers have arguably more important duties when it comes to their jobs on our campus. In fact for many teachers safety is their number one responsibility and priority.

In some states, it is required for teachers to be trained regularly in CPR and first aid. According to Wilcox teacher Mr. Kraintz, “First year teachers have to become CPR certified as part of their teaching credential program.” Some districts may even require cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillator training. However, it is important to note that not all teachers have this certification, and many are not protected by the Good Samaritan Law. This means that teachers in some states, according to the “Legal Issues in School Health Services: A Resource for School Administrators,” document, are not allowed to provide care to a student if they are in need of medical assistance. However, many teachers still have to be aware of their student’s health conditions and accommodate them accordingly to ensure their safety.

Due to recent events, teachers have also had to become more aware at school for even more catastrophic events. And although there are many drills in place to teach students what to do in case of an emergency, teachers still have to be prepared for the worst. For example Mr. Kraintz, stated in a recent interview that, “Teachers have to participate in two scheduled fire drills, an earthquake drill, and a lockdown drill each year.” He explained that these were the “safety measures in case of an emergency” that teachers must all be aware of.

Teachers are not only responsible for a child’s safety in class, but they are also responsible for ensuring a safe home environment. For example, many teachers are obligated to detect and keep an eye on abused children as well as contribute to the support of the abused child. Many teachers are trained just so that they can easily identify a neglected or abused student. Not only does this help with a student’s overall safety, but it also helps to ensure that a student is able to study and complete schoolwork in their home environment without potentially dangerous conditions or distractions. The California Department of Education News Release website has even announced that there has been new training passes such as one State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson new training tool for school workers to report suspected child abuse and neglect. These new systems are in place to help a teacher feel comfortable with filing a report and caring for an abused student.

Teachers are an important part of the school system. They keep our students educated, knowledgeable, and safe. By staying knowledgeable on the topic of safety regulations and by knowing the health law’s teachers must abide to, students may be able to be remain more confident in their educational environments.