CLUB SPOTLIGHT: Video Production

img_2469
Courtesy of Nathan Ramsey. The officers of the video production club.

Kicking off the beginning of our 2016-2017 school year was the annual fall club faire, which preceded the release of the Scribe’s first issue. What better way to celebrate this than to introduce one of Wilcox’s newest clubs, Video Production, lead and created by Wilcox and the World editor, Tyler McNierney.

The Wilcox Video Production Club came together just in time for the club faire, and it has already attracted a lot of attention. Club President Tyler McNierney is clearly dedicated to sharing one of his passions with the school community. Initially, McNierney became involved with video production by starting a YouTube channel with his friends around seventh grade. From this point onward, his interest in movie making grew drastically. Now, McNierney has developed many important skills in video production, and his goal is to educate, share, and help out students who possess similar skills and interests.

Aside from McNierney and the club advisers Mr. Raffetto and Ms. Armstrong, the Video Production Club includes a dedicated group of officers, which consists of Vice Presidents Kyle Biggs and Daniel Shaharuddin, Treasurer Neel Gore, Publicist Brian Chen, and Secretary Khoi Tran. Additionally, Tran has been put in charge of leading the sports coverage at Wilcox and has been working with third-party members in order to capture and record the football games with professional equipment. The club also includes several senior members, whose jobs are to assist other officers and students. They hold their meetings every Wednesday after school, from 2:30 to 4 o’clock. McNierney also mentions that people who are interested in joining or participating can contact him directly through Facebook or come to any of the meetings to talk to an officer.
The club has set many goals they wish to accomplish, but their main purpose is “to serve as a benefactor to the Wilcox Community,” says McNierney. “We’ve began arranging groups and distributing roles for events such as rallies, homecoming, sports, etc.” He continues to explain that the club officers are well prepared and capable of handling these events as well as assisting club members with issues concerning topics such as copyright, post-production knowledge, and YouTube.

Additionally, McNierney comments on some concerns they had prior to the club faire. “I was worried about the liability issues that come with video production, and whether there’d be enough people who’d want to join the club,” he remarks. Video production can be a sticky business due to legal issues, copyright infringements, and other conflicts that can easily emerge during the recording process. However, not only were these concerns alleviated by the club advisors, the club itself received over 100 signatures at the faire, proving the great amount of interest in the community. “I believe we gained a lot of attention thanks to the promotional video we made for the club over the summer,” says McNierney. On top of that, the club received official approval from ASB, which McNierney claims to be “another major relief and success for me.”

A large factor that distinguishes a successful club from a mediocre club is the activities that the club does locally or on campus. For example, Wilcox Animal Group, or WAG, participates in events and organizes volunteering times with local animal shelters. Another example is Interact, which could almost be considered the poster child of community involvement. When approached about this idea of branching out, McNierney explains that Video Production is planning on participating in most if not all future school events. McNierney explains that they have consulted with ASB on the matter and plan to help whenever needed. “We also plan to collaborate with the Music Production club to acquire a collection of music that we will be able to use without the worry of copyright infringement,” McNierney states.

Video Production is one of many new clubs on campus, and it has already made an impact with its determined officers and members. Like most clubs, Video Production is mainly focused on keeping their club educational and embracing the Wilcox community as a whole. It is clear that they will do as much as they can to promote our school in the years to come.