Clash of the Classes

“Freshmen are so immature.” This is the sentiment echoed across American high schools that stumbles out of the mouths of sophomores and seniors alike.

“Why are underclassmen sitting by the senior tree?”

“All of the sophomores are so annoying.”

A new year, a new hierarchy. From freshmen nervously testing out the waters of high school to seniors settling in for their last year, the beginning of a new semester is not only a time where each individual finds their place in the Wilcox community, but also a time for each class to reassert their status in the school.

All too often, the actions of a single student reflect on their class as a whole. Woe to the freshman with all senior friends, and why does that junior only talk to sophomores?

By the time homecoming rolls around, it would seem as if each class is itching to crush its successors and embarrass its predecessors.

There’s no doubt about it, Homecoming and Fantastics strengthen the bonds between classes and create a sense of unity as nothing else can. From float building to hall decorating, students have the chance to spend time with other class members that they may never have met otherwise. For example, council members can put in over twenty hours of work per week prior to Homecoming. There’s a sense of pride to every piece of tissue paper folded and every dance move perfected. But do Chargers fall for a sense of rivalry and transform this pride in their own class into an animosity toward another?

Class presidents Tamara Shoubber, Brandon Washington, and Hannah Warner unanimously disagree. Washington, the junior class president, actually believes that “it’s very easy to approach upperclassmen,” regardless of any misconceptions or feelings of intimidation that underclassmen may harbor. Reflecting on her freshman year, Warner, who is sophomore class president, confesses that she shared these notions of fear and intimidation toward older students. However, “as the year went on, after events like Homecoming and Fantastics, I got closer to a lot more upperclassmen,” Warner explains. Additionally, during Homecoming and Fantastics, the identical challenges that each class faces fosters an ability to find common ground. Classes’ shared struggles include creating floats and banners, producing skits, and rallying enthusiasm among their members. Although Homecoming and Fantastics are based upon the element of competition, these presidents feel this competition is both friendly and unifying.

emma-kreider
The four class presidents have already developed bonds this year by preparing for events such as Homecoming.

Not only do class councils observe no increase in tensions between classes through events such as Homecoming and Fantastics, they actively work to promote a sense of Charger pride over class pride. Among class councils, bonding activities for leadership students allow them to bridge the divide created by rivalry. Whether it is working together during ASB or organizing a beach bonding, Wilcox leadership makes deep connections with each other. There is even a sense of mentorship from the very way each class president addresses another. “You love them, they’re like your little children,” laughs Shoubber, the senior class president, about underclassmen, affirming that she and other upperclassmen are always willing to help and advise younger students. Through this crucial process of networking, the leaders of our school utilize their experience to be role models in bonding with other class members throughout the year. For instance, the class presidents use sister classes to strengthen interclass bonds. Additionally, the presidents organize all-class flower parties, designed to help students socialize with other classes without divulging any float design secrets. Even on the final day of float building, the first class to finish often helps another. Something as simple as choosing “Unity Day” for the final dress up day of Homecoming week helps students see beyond the green, blue, red, and yellow to the black and gold in all of us.

While some older students may make generalizations about a class or be unwilling to interact with younger students, there are certainly many Wilcox students more than willing to use events such as Homecoming and Fantastics to befriend students of any class. As Shoubber can attest, “we’re all working for one purpose” to spread Charger pride.