Club of the Month: The Outlet

Loving the Chargers is great, but not being able to show it can really suck. But be rest assured, because you can show your school spirit in The Outlet. Go over to the student section and cheer on the Chargers. Bring your spirit by showing up in any Charger gear you have. The main point of this club is to support the Wilcox sports teams and boost morale.
The Outlet is a new club that cheers on the Chargers. Joining this club is a great opportunity to hang out with friends, go cheer, and get involved. Caroline Kloes, the president of the Outlet, stresses the importance of having a club that supports Wilcox’s various athletic teams. “Sports team don’t really feel that supported” Kloes pointed out. “We wanted to get a big group of students together for the sole purpose of supporting the Charger student athletes.”
The Outlet is a club that is open to everyone; it encourages members to bring friends to the sports matches. Aside from the sports games, the club hosts periodic meetings to provide information about upcoming events and activities to its members.
One of The Outlet’s main goals is to get people to come out into the student section and cheer on the athletic teams. The club encourages members to get dressed up and pumped up. Face paint, foam fingers, and Charger cups are some of the many things that members can bring to the games.
Another great aspect of The Outlet is the fact that the club supports all Charger Activity. The club is designed to support all teams, so if members prefer one sport over the other, they won’t be left out. Members of the club are encouraged to visit games on their own time to help cheer on the various athletic teams we have on campus. This is a great opportunity for less recognized sports teams to get reminded that Wilcox cares about their athletic achievement too.
Having fun is an important part of this activity, whether it’s meeting new people or watching the Chargers score a point in a tough game. The Outlet allows students to have fun and at the same time, allows students to commit a good act by supporting their peers.
Students may feel hesitant about being the only ones cheering for the sports teams. However, Outlet members, unlike the cheer team, are not facing the crowd. Thus, members won’t have to feel embarrassed about cheering for their teammates. Additionally, members will be hanging out with friends and people who want to support the team.
Students also shouldn’t worry about bringing too little or too much, because showing support is enough. Having just parents and the cheer team can make the sports team feel under-appreciated. In a sense, students are playing a crucial role by providing morale support to the hardworking sports teams.
Overall, the Outlet is a very exciting club, and it allows passionate students to cheer on their teams while dressing up in spirit and showing pizzazz.

Wilcox’s spirit club, The Outlet, takes a group photo before the weekly football game. The Outlet is a great way to make friends and bond over the mutual love for Wilcox. (COURTESY OF CAROLINE KLOES)