The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Rants and Raves

Rapper+and+singer+Doja+Cat+on+stage+performing+her+album+Planet+Her.+
Own Work
Rapper and singer Doja Cat on stage performing her album “Planet Her”.

Raves:

Doja Cat

Controversial? Very. Talented? For sure. Part of a new generation of artists who march to the beat of their own drum, Doja Cat is pursuing the career she wants, despite angering millions of people all over the globe. With her upcoming Junior album Scarlet, released on Friday, September 22, she will set a new tone regarding her musical style and transition into rap. In addition to Doja’s music style, she has been showcasing her unique fashion taste on social media. Posting multiple times a week Doja Cat shows off her new hairstyle and edgy clothes. 

Thrifting

We all love a deal, and thrifting has quickly become a generation’s favorite pastime. While the thought of thrifting is not new, within the past several years and especially during and after the pandemic. Upcycling, as it is also known has truly taken off with the new generation as a way to reduce waste and give new life to old clothes. In addition to wasting less, it also brings up a new sense of personal style and creativity. If you haven’t tried thrifting yet, it’s easy! The best thrift stores are either vintage or modern focused, but stores like Goodwill and The Salvation Army are also good, affordable options!

The Notes App

Have you ever forgotten an assignment and realized later that you had meant to write it down? There’s a great fix for that, and it’s right there on your phone! Located either on your home screen or all the way to the right, you can locate and use your notes app to write down anything. It can also function as a planner, with lots of options to add checklists and reminders. There is also the added convenience of not having to carry around a planner.  

Rants:

Waistband Flip

Some fashion trends are great! And some are not. Unfortunately for many people around school, turning your waistband out isn’t as fashionable as they think it is. This trend which started on TikTok in early 2023 quickly spread as a “high fashion” statement, and many young people fell prey to the herd mentality. In reality, it’s a cheap trick someone can pull when they don’t have the creativity to do something else. Furthermore, this trend should have died months ago but occasionally someone will pull it at school and it looks even more out of place. This trend is truly a test for humanity. Can we let it pass away? Only time will tell.

Anti-Uniqueness 

The thought that everyone is unique used to be a powerful notion, but now it’s used to harm and belittle people. Almost anywhere you look on social media as well as in real life you see people commenting negative things under posts. Saying things like, “I liked you better in the past”, “Stop thinking you’re all that”, “Thats ugli”, and the worst one of all “Wow! You’re VERY unique!”. All of these comments mean negative things and discourage people from being truly themselves, which in and of itself contradicts the popular “Be 100% authentic” belief. 

Forgetting Things

Have you ever had a really great idea, only to forget it moments, minutes, or hours later? We all hate that feeling of almost remembering what it was, to then have it slip away. This issue plagues everyone and is the universal thorn in our side. This thorn also persists to ruin the creativity of artists, speakers, writers, teachers, students, and many, many more people.