The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Stress of Picking Classes

Students use aeries to pick classes. Courtesy of Sherry Jenson

Picking classes is something that every student at Wilcox has to do, and each year the experience is different. Each year there are more classes to choose from and new credits to fulfill. Choosing classes can be incredibly difficult for some students and incredibly easy for others. While there are specific subjects that everyone has to take, there are almost always options for what specific classes you can choose to take. But how does this experience differ from freshman year to senior year?

Ainsley Cleveland, a freshman at Wilcox, talked about how she felt the experience differed from choosing classes for freshman year to choosing classes for sophomore year. Cleveland stated that “it was a little stressful picking out classes for next year.” Cleveland also said that they felt that “there were definitely more options than last time (when comparing options for freshman year to sophomore year) which was both nerve-wracking and exciting at the same time.” Additionally, Cleveland commented that she “felt a lot more confident in [their] decisions because [they] have a better idea of what high school classes are like in general, and [they] have a clearer plan of what [they] want [their] high school academic path to look like.”

Personally, as a freshman choosing classes for my sophomore year I found picking classes for both freshman and sophomore years stressful but for different reasons. When selecting my classes for my freshman year I was very unsure of what high school would be like and what classes would be best for me to take. As I chose my classes for my sophomore year I felt overwhelmed as even though I only had a few more options, I felt very stressed about balancing my classes and making sure that there were not too many harder classes as I don’t want to overwhelm myself. I felt more confident in my decisions because I now know what high school is like but I was also afraid of overwhelming myself and taking on too many difficult classes.

Picking classes for freshman and sophomore year is very different and more straightforward than picking classes for junior year, which many consider to be the hardest and most stressful year of high school.

Wilcox sophomore Nadia Weinberg stated that “picking classes for junior year was more stressful than picking classes for previous years.” Weinberg attributed this to the fact that “there are a lot more options for AP and Honors classes and overall harder classes to pick from” adding that, “Picking classes for sophomore year was easier because there were less options and easier classes to choose from.” Weinberg also added that it is also stressful because she has signed up for a lot of AP and honors classes but isn’t sure if they will all fit into her schedule as she tries to fit in time for not only academics but also other parts of her life like sports.

Picking classes for Junior year can be very stressful, especially when trying to balance academics and other interests, but how does this compare to picking classes for senior year?

Wilcox Junior Emri Pandez stated that “Picking classes for senior year was a lot less stressful in comparison to picking them as a freshman/sophomore. In other words, I was a lot more confident deciding what classes to take for senior year as I’ve gained the knowledge and experience to know what is best to take.”