Humans of Wilcox: Ariana Vergonio

Ariana has a strong passion for spreading positivity and helping others.
Kelly Nishimura

Anyone who has met Ariana Vergonio knows that she is always smiling. Following in the footsteps of many Interact presidents before her, Ariana has a strong passion for spreading positivity and helping others. The Wilcox Interact club inspires members to tackle big issues locally, nationally, and internationally, and she has thoroughly enjoyed leading the club as president during the 2015-2016 school year. However, Ariana can also be seen participating in various other organizations and activities on campus, and her love for her class has only grown since freshmen year.

Interact club, which encourages students to partake in community service events, “is just a fun, judgment free environment,” Ariana explains. Sponsored by the local rotary club, Interact members participate in community events such as Steps for Success, which gives shoes and socks to less advantaged children in surrounding elementary schools. Interact is also raising money for “Hello My Name Is,” an international anti-human trafficking project, and “Under One Roof,” a community cause that helps people struggling to find a home. “Helping others is what inspired us,”Ariana added. In Interact, Ariana and the other Interact students make a difference in the school, community, and even around the world. Ariana encourages anyone to join Interact at any time, and to get involved with the club. “We are all really nice people. Just start showing up to more events,” Ariana advised. “When you start coming to more events, we notice.”

After being persuaded to join Wilcox’s Interact club her freshman year, Ariana was elected freshman representative for the club. However, she was not sure what the club was really about or how it helped the community. “My freshman year, I did not really know what Interact was. I did not know that we were part of an area, and I did not know that we were part of a district,” Ariana stated, explaining why she did not jump to join Interact.

Luckily, she ended up joining Interact again her sophomore year, and was picked to be on the officer team. “My beginning position was merchandise coordinator, and then Ashley Wong decided to promote me to community service coordinator,” Ariana explained. As Interact’s community service coordinator, Vergonio did not just keep track of all of the club members service hours, but also attended more events in the Wilcox community. One of these events, trick-or-treating for UNICEF, allows Wilcox students to really get to know the people living in their community. “You are helping people while meeting cool people,” Ariana added, recalling how she not only got to know people in Interact, but she also got to know more about the people in her neighborhood. “I got to meet people in my community that I did not know were so cool.” she commented.

However, Interact is not the only activity Ariana participates in at Wilcox. She is also involved in FASA, CSF, and ARK, and has been on council all four of her years at Wilcox. Ariana also added that she is “a big family person”, and spends much of her free time with her family and friends. Ariana  is part of Wilcox’s cross country team, and is currently enrolled in 5 Advanced Placement courses. In addition to this, Ariana loves to support Wilcox sports and watch her friends play in their weekly games throughout the seasons.

In addition to Interact and the many other clubs and extracurricular activities she is involved in, one of the things Ariana really liked about Wilcox high school and the student body is the superb school spirit. When it comes to Homecoming, Fantastics, and the Black and Blue Olympics, most schools do not come close to our school spirit. She loves her class and participates in the activities often.

Although this is her last year at Wilcox, Ariana will continue to inspire present and future Interact officers and members. “She really inspires me to get involved in my community and help others,” freshman Interact member Ella Jevtic said. “I want to continue to be involved in Interact, and even encourage others to join and get involved as well.” Ariana advises anyone interested in Interact to come out to the meetings and to start getting involved in the community. “Helping is what makes the world go round. It’s not about yourself, it’s about everyone.”

Ariana loves Interact events, such as FLC, and encourages all Wilcox students to join the club.