Loving Local Colleges and Universities

College. The perfect opportunity to move as far away from parents as possible, right? The invigorating thought of complete independence has motivated students to focus on colleges in faraway areas and states, maybe even on the other side of the nation. However, many students do not realize that some of the best colleges in the U.S. are less than three hours away, and I’m not just talking about Stanford.

University of California-Los Angeles, University of California-Santa Barbara, and University of California-San Diego seem to attract numerous students from the Bay Area, but they are at least a five hour drive from Santa Clara. University of California-Santa Cruz, which was ranked as one of the top best-value universities by U.S. News and World Report, is less than an hour away. The public university has incredible programs in Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Social Studies, and Psychology, not to mention that the campus is in one of the most scenic areas of the state. Jasmin Granke, Wilcox alumnus and UCSC freshman, said, “What I really love about UC Santa Cruz is how submerged in nature you are. Being able to trek through the forest every day as I walk to class is such a tranquil experience…Being close to home allowed me to have a lifeline to my past life. If I was ever feeling homesick I knew I could be home in less than an hour. Santa Cruz is the perfect distance away since I can go home fairly easily or have the excuse not to go home since the distance is still considered a longer trip than normal.”

University of California-Davis, approximately two hours away, is one of the best colleges in California for students looking to go into agriculture and forestry, or veterinary sciences. It is ranked ninth among public research universities nationally, and first among research universities in life and earth sciences worldwide. Davis is also situated in the middle of San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa, and Sacramento, so there is a never-ending supply of activities to do with your new Davis college buddies. “I really like UC Davis because everyone here is actually really friendly and really nice even if they don’t know you. Also because it is close enough to take a train ride back home, but far away enough that you can have that college experience of living in the dorms, having freedom, and being independent. So this helped me with my transition just to know that I can go home whenever I would like to, especially during those three day weekends,” said Melanie Tieu, Wilcox alumnus and current UCD chemical engineering major.

Santa Clara University, about a ten minute drive from Wilcox, is often overlooked because students consider it “too close” to their childhood residences. However, the gorgeous Jesuit university has become very prestigious in the private college community with its amazing programs and ideal location in the Silicon Valley. The University is surrounded by world-renowned companies including Google, Cisco, and Apple, and a majority of the students are employed within 6 months of graduation due to these connections. Osama Shoubber, Wilcox alumnus and SCU Computer Science and Engineering major, commented, “I found that one of the major benefits of going to a local university is that it can eliminate some of the stress that happens during the transitional phase. Going from being babied by your parents to being completely on your own is a critical shift in life that not many people are prepared for. The day before leaving to college everything’s been done for you, the next day, you have so many responsibilities that are thrown onto you without any instruction. This could take many people by surprise and hinder their performance as students because of all the time you need to dedicate for living on your own.”

Mills College in Oakland, just an hour and a half away from Santa Clara, is the oldest undergraduate college for women in the west (although men can receive their graduate degrees there as well). Located in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills offers award-winning programs in English, Economics, and Psychology. ASB president and Wilcox senior Samia Abbasi, who is seriously considering attending Mills next Fall, commented, “What I love about Mills is that it’s kind of like its own kingdom. There’s forest elements, Victorian and modern architecture, and a tea shop on campus. It seems to be buzzing with warmth and empowerment as a women’s college.” When asked about the close proximity to her parents, she added, “Being an hour and a half away from home seems to be a huge blessing. I could go home often but still be independent. And if I ever miss my mom’s cooking or forget something important at home, I can be home relatively easily.”

If you enjoy city life, the University of San Francisco is a great option. The college offers over more than 100 undergraduate and graduate major programs, and is ranked seventh in the nation for ethnic diversity by the U.S. News and World Report. It was also ranked in the top twenty for most entrepreneurial schools by Forbes due to the incredibly opportunities for internships and jobs in the San Francisco area. Andy Chan, former Wilcox student and current USF freshman, disclosed, “My transition into college was interesting–being in San Francisco means I’m far enough where I can grow as an individual but close enough to visit friends and family basically whenever I want and can. Now that I’m also on my own, I have the freedom to get involved in ways that were unimaginable in high school while learning the great lesson of time management.” This is a great school for students who want to stay local and love city adventure.

Local universities should not be overlooked in the quest for a perfect college, as they provide the perfect balance of security and independence. Be sure to add them to your list of potential colleges!