Humans of Wilcox – Nicholas Gamber

COURTESY OF ALICIA NAICKER                                Nicholas Gamber is an avid collector of sorts while being a well rounded student at Wilcox.

If you’ve found yourself bustling about school with erudite ventures and extracurriculars, chances are you’ve met Nicholas Sterling Gamber. Gamber has made his way through his four years as a well-rounded student and actor, director, and president of the on-campus club GSMA.

Gamber can be best described by his friends as an intellectual, sassy, and fun-loving guy. Throughout his academic career, Gamber has expressed a passion for his English class and become proficient at essays, debates, and writing through creative and technical prompts. According to Mrs. Guttadauro, his sophomore English teacher, “He ponders things, ruminates over a sentence or a piece of writing and then decides to share his thought. Whether in writing or speaking or both, he wrangles with words and emerges the winner.”

As a child, he was seldom seen without a book in hand, and he especially enjoys science fiction. His early beginnings in reading developed from his grandmother frequently reading to him.
It should also be known that much of the course load Gamber undertook over the year also reflects his deepened commitment and absorption in theatrical ventures. In three of his four years at Wilcox, he pursued introductory and advanced courses in theatre. During his sophomore year, Gamber had his first taste of directing as he worked beside a fellow classmate in his Theatre 2 class to put on a winter showcase. Before committing himself to an actual class, Gamber had pursued theatre in the Starting Arts Program as Doody in Grease, armed with a guitar to perform his very own solo. Gamber would eventually go on to take on even more prominent roles in the Wilcox Stage Company. In the last year he had taken part in The Great Gatsby as one of the leads, Nick Carraway.

He is currently in the middle of production of Beauty and The Beast as a co-director with Ms. Robson. Ms. Robson says that Gamber is “wise beyond his years.” She adds that he “constantly strives to grow and learn both as a director and a person. He keeps the issues that arise in productions grounded and maintains professionalism in all areas of life. I feel honored to work with him.”
Alongside his academic and theatrical ventures, Gamber participates in the on-campus club GSMA as its president. He is interested in supporting the community through the club, as the LGBTQ community has touched his life in personal ways, claiming that many minorities in the club must, “be protected in this world where they are not always safe.” Together with other officers in the club, they work to organize bonding nights and other events within school to build a safe community. Overall, his wishes with the club are to, “make this world a better place and to teach others how to be accepting.”

In addition to school-related projects, Gamber has a wide variety of interests. Having participated in recreational foil fencing, he has begun collecting various forms of medieval weaponry, including daggers, swords and other similar items, most of which he obtained at places like the local Renaissance Faire and Fanime. Gamber takes his pop culture and other fandoms very seriously, with only the best of licensed merchandise in his holdings. “Every item I collect has a story. It’s not just an object, but a snapshot of that moment in my life. That’s why I say my room is a memory box.” Much of the content he loves from various fandoms can be directly attributed to the extensive number of Funko Pops! he holds in his possession. He also owns stacks of television box sets that chronicle past years of prime-time hits that have personally resonated with him. While being an avid art patron, Gamber is a jovial friend with his playful banter and hilarious impressions of popular celebrities.

Upon starting a career of his own choosing, Gamber has expressed a deep desire to pursue a path that best reflects favorable occupations of his skills. Gamber looks forward to being a high school teacher in either English or theater. He would also enjoy writing fictional stories on the side. With that in mind, he hopes to advise the younger demographic to guide them through the struggles adolescence often presents. Overall, Gamber is the most inclined to making an impactful difference in the world.