The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

We’re All Barbie Girls In This Modern World

The Barbie Movie billboards featured in New York’s Times Square. Courtesy of Brecht Bug.

Flashback to July, 2023 – Girls in bright pink outfits greet each other with a friendly “Hi Barbie!” Every billboard you can see is covered with pictures of Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, your Tiktok “For You” page is showing you a Barbie advertisement every two videos. The Barbie Movie took the whole world by storm, to the point where there are still countless references to it months later. So how has this movie truly affected us, and how will it continue to make an impact in the future?

The Barbie Movie was directed by Greta Gerwig, who is known for other well-known movies such as Little Women and Lady Bird. The iconic ‘Stereotypical Barbie’ is played by notorious actress Margot Robbie, alongside co-star Ryan Gosling as Ken. The plot follows these two characters as they embark on a journey outside of Barbie Land and into the real world, where they are faced with countless societal issues that they were previously unaware of. Both characters go down different paths of self-discovery as the film skillfully grapples with relevant themes such as feminism, girlhood, and maturity. A movie that was expected to be more lighthearted and fun actually has a very meaningful message.

First and foremost, the Barbie movie has brought together the female community. Together, friends planned cute pink outfits and makeup looks to wear to the movie’s premiere, and many bonded over their love for this movie. Deena Shen, a sophomore who went to see the Barbie Movie with her group of friends, explains that, “I planned to wear pink with all my friends, we watched the movie together and it was great!” Deena describes the experience of dressing up with friends, going out for food after the movie, and overall having a great time. “The message was so empowering, it shows that women can be comfortable being feminine because they can still be powerful,” she emphasizes. Overall, the general excitement around the film’s release and the appreciation for it positively impacted our community.

The Barbie Movie also had an incredible impact on the economy. Within the first weekend of its release, the movie grossed $162 million in ticket sales. The film also positively affected Mattel, the Barbie brand, whose shares were increased by 22%. Along with having an encouraging message for younger and more mature women alike, the Barbie Movie has also brought together the community and boosted the economy. Imagine how this experience could continue its positive impact in the future!

One aspect about the Barbie Movie that will never be forgotten is the heartwarming message and the example it gives to younger audiences. The film is empowering for women, it challenges societal norms, and works towards a more inclusive and supportive environment. The positive impact that this movie currently has on society will only continue as future generations watch it and apply the message to their everyday life. I don’t know about you, but I’m excited to see how the Barbie Movie will grow in the years to come!