The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Are Fall UGGs Really Worth The Price?

UGGs+back+in+style+for+the+fall.+Courtesy+of%3A+Jared+Siskin.+
UGGs back in style for the fall. Courtesy of: Jared Siskin.

Have you scrolled through TikTok recently to see creators raving about fall fashion? If so, you have most likely seen UGGs have become all the rage. UGGs, a brand of sheepskin boots created by the fashion company UGG, are the hottest shoes in fashion this fall. But they have a catch– their daunting prices. UGGs are renowned for their comfortable, stylish, and incredibly reputable brand of boots, but it’s hard to find a pair under one hundred dollars. These are definitely a hefty investment that many would turn down their noses to. Are UGGs really worth the expense, or should you save your money?

UGGs have been around since 1978, when Australian surfer Brian Smith introduced the idea of designing sheepskin boots in Southern California. These boots come in many styles– tall or short, smooth or fluffy– the possibilities are endless. Their initial rise of fame was in the early 2000s, partly due to endorsement from celebrities, who were seen wearing the boots in public. Now, the love for UGGs has returned for the fall of 2023, specifically in the slipper-like style named UGG Tasmans. But this rise in popularity has also led some to question if buying UGGs is worth it in the long run. 

Fall and winter are the seasons when UGGs peak in popularity. After those seasons pass, they’re typically tucked away until the next year. However, by then, there’s a chance that you might have outgrown them. In my opinion, it’s not worth spending anywhere between one to two hundred dollars on boots that you won’t wear that frequently. While they may offer comfort and style to your outfits, these advantages are often overshadowed by the dip in your bank account. 

Addy Yi, a sophomore at Wilcox who owns two pairs of UGGs, commented, “I have the classic boots and the minis, they’re around one hundred to one hundred thirty dollars each. They’re pretty comfortable, and they last a long time.” But then Yi explained, “Over time, the fur starts to compress and the shoes wear down a little. And to be honest, I’m not that fond of the price– I don’t even wear my UGGs that much because it’s hard to style them.” Since UGGs are so expensive, it isn’t worth buying a pair of shoes that are hard to style and will spend a lot of time unworn.

The biggest concern with UGGs is the cost. A recent trend that can solve this problem is the search for dupes or alternatives! After a quick search on Amazon, I was able to find a pair of boots that look almost identical to a pair of UGGs, sold by Weestep for forty dollars. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, suggesting that these are the closest things to UGGs you could find. UGGs are a great brand of shoes, but are they really worth the purchase if you can easily buy boots of similar quality at lower prices? 

UGGs are trendy, comfortable, and fashionable, and the hype around the fall aesthetic gives them a huge popularity boost. However, there are a lot of people who only wear them in specific seasons, just to disregard them for the rest of the year. Not to mention, their prices are extremely high for a pair of boots. Instead of purchasing genuine UGGs, why not save some of your money and opt for dupes? UGGs are definitely not worth the full price if there are easy-to-find, cheaper alternatives. So, the next time you think about buying UGGs at the store, tuck the money back into your pocket and save it for later!