The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Chargers Wrap Up 2023-24 Football Season

The+Wilcox+Varsity+Football+team+poses+after+a+victory.+
Tyler Wong
The Wilcox Varsity Football team poses after a victory.

The Wilcox Chargers Varsity Football team wrapped up the 2023-24 regular season with a 7-3 record. 

The Chargers entered the season in hopes of making a statement in their new league after clinching the number one seed in their former De Anza League in the previous season. In the 2023-24 season, the Black & Gold Chargers defeated 4 of their 5 league opponents, outscoring their opponent by over 30 points in 3 of the matchups. The Chargers concluded the regular season as the second seed in the Peninsula Bay League after a one-point loss to their league rival Los Gatos Cats in a battle for the first seed. 

Throughout the season, a handful of players gained recognition throughout the Bay Area high school football community. First-year starting quarterback Tyson Bonilla led the league in rushing yards, totaling 1174 in the regular season. Bonilla’s performance earned him a spot in the GetSportsFocus 2023 Senior All-Star Game, an invitational tournament amongst the top Bay Area high school seniors, along with teammates Will Ruff, Romeo Castillo, and Justin “Moose” Hyklema. Hyklema was another standout player this season – all eyes were on the 6’7 senior, especially after he received 8 Division I college team offers and committed to the University of Arizona over the summer. Running Back Elijah Walker, who is also a third-year varsity player, also had a breakout season. Walker rushed for 1015 yards and ran into the end zone 14 times on the season, leading the Chargers in total touchdowns. Anchored by both Bonilla and Walker, the team’s skillful running game proved to be a struggle for defenders throughout the season. 

The Chargers rode into the 2023 CCS Playoffs with confidence after winning 4 of their 5 final regular season games. Out of 40 teams, the Chargers were amongst the top 8 and were appointed to play in the highest level Open/Division I playoff bracket. The team stunned the Saint Francis Lancers in the first round, defeating their second-seeded opponent in a 52-28 upset victory. The Chargers converted for 485 rushing yards and 6 rushing touchdowns, 5 of which came from Walker, asserting the dominance of their running game. The Black & Gold advanced to the CCS Open Division Championship game to face the Serra Padres, who are ranked the 24th-best team in the nation by MaxPreps. Despite their effort, the Chargers fell short and moved down to the Division I Championship in a rematch against Los Gatos for another chance at a division title. The Cats once again defeated the Chargers by an unexpected 49-14 margin, bringing the Chargers’ season to an abrupt end.

Despite a disheartening postseason exit, Head Coach Paul Rosa is still very proud of the Chargers’ performance this season. “This was the most difficult schedule we have ever played,” expressed Coach Rosa. “We played 6 games where the opponent was ranked in the top 100, and that is unheard of for a public school.”

With many of their star players set to graduate this year, the Chargers hope to establish a strong new core over the offseason as they strive to have another shot at taking their first CCS title since 2021.