The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Athlete of the Month: Ryland Chang

Kiana Guanga
Ryland is one of the Wilcox Men’s Basketball varsity team captains this year.

Ryland Chang, a senior at Wilcox, is an admirable part of the varsity boys’ basketball team. This is his fourth year on varsity, and he is one of the captains this year. 

When asked how he started playing, Chang explained that he grew up surrounded by basketball players, inspiring him to start playing almost every week when he was young. “Being surrounded by so many athletes and becoming friends with so many different people was really what sparked my love for the sport,” Chang added. Chang has been on varsity since his freshman year, when the team was able to advance to CCS, though he humbly admits that he was not a “significant part of the team at the time.”

This year, however, Chang is a captain. Coach Ruben Camacho reveals, “As a junior last year, Ryland was a great example of being coachable,” as he encourages his teammates and therefore promotes teamwork during games and practices. Chang also expresses that as an addition to the team, he feels as if he sets the pace and helps push his teammates, especially the young or new ones, towards improvement. Coach Camacho adds, “Ryland gives the team great guidance and is a true floor leader. [He is] very stable, he doesn’t get emotional and is a great extension of the coaching staff.”

Apart from being a great leader, Chang has also shown other meritorious qualities as a player. Coach Camacho compliments that “Ryland has always shown positive characteristics on and off the court. He has a strong sense of integrity and is honest and accountable for his actions, even if it means admitting mistakes.” He also mentions that he notices  the loyalty Chang has towards his teammates and coaches, allowing us to have an insight on the close relationship and trust that were built through the seasons.

As this is Chang’s last year on the team and at Wilcox, he describes that knowledge as a “very bittersweet feeling.” Part of it has to do with the close bond he has built with the other players as well as the priceless memories he has attained. “I’m going to miss all of the rushes of adrenaline, the celebrations, the meals after a win. … I’ve been lucky enough to experience all of these things, which is why it’s going to be hard to say goodbye to,” Chang expressed.

Chang reveals that he will not be pursuing basketball in college and that rather, his passion for the sport would remain as a hobby. He explains, “I think my love for basketball is really strong, but I believe I’m at the stage where I should find something else to pursue in order to build a future for myself.”

Chang affirms that he will hold on to the memories he gained through his journey. Cheer Ryland Chang on as he closes off his final season with the Wilcox varsity basketball team and enjoys his final semester of high school!