The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

(Starving For) The Hunger Games Movie

The+Hunger+Games%3A+The+Ballad+of+Songbirds+and+Snakes+is+one+of+the+most+highly+rated+and+anticipated+films+of+2023.+
IGN Nordic
“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is one of the most highly rated and anticipated films of 2023.

The latest installment of The Hunger Games was released on November 17th, 2023. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is the fourth and final film of the Hunger Games saga, and has been anticipated since the release of the physical book in 2020. Hunger Games fans from around the world are rushing to theaters, itching to watch the unique characters from the book come to life. The release of this movie is a nostalgic flashback to the early and mid 2010s, back when the dystopian genre was all the rage. Fans that were once raving over the original Hunger Games movie are now older, but The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is bringing back the passion for this iconic series. 

Although it might be the most recent installment, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is actually a prequel to the original series that takes place over sixty years prior to the first book. It tells the tale of eighteen year old Coriolanus Snow, who eventually becomes the cold and tyrannical President Snow we know from the original series. Snow’s music-savvy lover interest, Lucy Gray Baird, is played by somewhat infamous actress Rachel Zegler, who is well known for her casting as Snow White in the live action movie before it was canceled. The plot follows Snow down the dark path to cruelty, fueled by his power-hungry nature. It navigates themes of power, privilege, and the loss of innocence while creating a powerful explanation as to why Snow became the way he is in the original Hunger Games

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes navigates entirely different territory compared to its preceding films, focusing more on philosophy rather than creating an intricate political allegory. The Hunger Games is mainly a criticism of war, violence, and control. Contrastingly, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes depicts the impact of one’s choices, and discusses the idea of “humanity undressed”, as stated by Dr. Volumnia Gaul, played by Viola Davis in the film. Overall, this film introduces new, thought-provoking ideas and themes for fans of The Hunger Games. While the new movie and the original series may have different motifs, they both create powerful messages about society and humanity. 

Sophomore Eashan Wahi spoke of his experience watching The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, stating that “This was [his] favorite movie so far. I like the background they gave on the characters that lacked it in the previous films.” The new movie goes beyond just telling the backstory of President Snow, in fact fans of The Hunger Games have the chance to see other recurring characters such as Tigris Snow, played by Hunter Schafer. Not to mention, familiar names hinting towards the ancestors of certain characters pop up throughout the film– such as the comedic Lucretius “Lucky” Flickerman, played by Jason Schwartzman, who is likely the predecessor of iconic host Caesar Flickerman from the original movies. 

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a remarkable prequel to The Hunger Games series, successfully addressing unanswered questions from the original films while also crafting a complex story with interesting characters and powerful themes. Watching it in theaters provides a nostalgic flashback for fans of The Hunger Games, bringing them back to the 2010s when this dystopian trilogy was all the rage. Even those who haven’t seen The Hunger Games can still enjoy the movie, since it does not require much knowledge about the original series to enjoy. If you’re looking to watch a compelling tale that blurs the lines between good and evil, buy tickets for The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes!