I Pass on That Class

Izzy Tosola

Class in Session

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to drop all the classes you despised, and only take the classes that bring you joy? Why does an aspiring writer have to take a math class? Why does a striving math major need to take a foreign language? This article describes why the high school’s educational system should be established based on  a student’s desires rather than forced classes that give them no motivation to go to school. 

Once a high school student knows what they want to study or have a basic idea of what they want to do when they grow up, they should have the freedom to learn what they want based on their desired field. Students should not have to take courses that do not prepare them for the major they want to pursue in college and in their future. 

As of now, high school students are required to take classes with a certain amount of credits from each subject– Math, Science, English, Language, History, etc. – in order to graduate. However, it would be much more efficient if students were only allowed to take classes based on what they want to be when they graduate from college. Not only will it help them specialize in their major much earlier, but it will also help students become more prepared for college. Additionally, students will be more motivated to show up to class and finish their assignments because of their interest in these subjects. Junior at Wilcox High School, Anoushka Banerjee, elaborates on what she thinks about taking classes based on her interested career path: “I think students should have the privilege of only taking classes they are interested in. If students are able to do that, they can distinguish their interests at a younger age which makes it much easier to find their major in college.” Like Banerjee emphasizes, when students have their own decisions, it will allow them to be responsible and more prepared for the real world. 

Some people may argue that it is important to have an established base of each subject because they will contribute to life after high school and college. Kiana Guanga, a junior at Wilcox High School, reiterates this point: “Psychologists state that one’s personality doesn’t fully develop until their mid-20’s, so a high schooler could easily change their ideal career path later on. If they didn’t take the required classes for their new career path in high school, they would have a difficult time developing those needed skills later on”. Although both of these points are true, students will still receive a foundation of each subject throughout elementary and middle school. However, high school students should have the opportunity to take the classes that will help them in their future. A student may not know exactly what they want to be when they grow up. Giving them the freedom to explore classes and accordingly get ideas of what they want to be can help them change their minds earlier, instead of switching their majors in college and wasting thousands of dollars. If a student has no idea what they want to do, then they can take the universal classes that all students are offered today. 

Students will thrive if they are motivated in school, and are excited to learn. High school students should be able to specialize in their aspirations in order to succeed and start early.