The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

You Are What You Eat- Diabetes, Cancer, and Heart Attacks

Marco Verch
Eating a balanced meal is one of the main ways to prevent serious health issues.

What you eat can change your life. Literally. Your body has the capacity to fight off a multitude of diseases, so long as you fuel it correctly. The six main nutrient groups – carbohydrates, water, protein, vitamins, minerals, and fats – all play key roles in how your body functions and prevents illness and injury. These nutrients can be divided into micronutrients and macronutrients. Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals, things you need in small amounts but are still crucial to your health. Macronutrients include water, protein, fats, and carbohydrates. Our body requires these in larger amounts for energy and general maintenance. While nutrients go hand in hand with calories, these two groups are not directly proportional. Many of us associate a lower calorie count with more nutrients and vice versa, but this isn’t always the case. While a bag of pretzels might be low in calories, it also lacks proper vitamins, proteins, and minerals. Conversely, some other nutrient-dense foods like avocados or nuts can be higher in calories. A lot of “well-known” facts about nutrition are incorrect or only partially understood. 

The science behind nutrition and health is in large part connected to angiogenesis. Angiogenesis is the process in which endothelial cells migrate and grow to produce new blood vessels. The angiogenic system can be good or bad, depending on where those new blood vessels are going. A  healthy person’s body requires new blood vessels to bring oxygen to their organs and tissues, so angiogenesis effectively keeps them alive. In a person with cancerous cells, this process supports the growth and further development of tumors. Tumors require blood vessels to fuel them the same way our organs do, so they can send out a signal that kick-starts angiogenesis and helps them spread. The Angiogenesis Foundation has found that things like fruits, vegetables, coffee, and seafood can influence and or prevent angiogenesis and by extension, prevent cancer and other diseases.

An anti-angiogenic diet isn’t the only thing that can help fend off diseases. A heart-healthy diet, for instance, includes limiting your saturated and trans fat intake. This reduces blood cholesterol and the risk of heart attacks and strokes, which are caused by a buildup of cholesterol-related artery plaque or atherosclerosis. According to the Mayo Clinic, choosing low-fat sources of protein, like blood fat-lowering fish or fiber-boosting lentils, can also aid your heart health. Moreover, consuming whole grains, nuts, legumes, fruits, and vegetables can improve glucose level regulation as well as blood lipids in people with Type 2 diabetes. 

Eating healthy isn’t just for people who need to lower their cholesterol or boost their glucose regulation. A balanced plate includes a variety of foods: most of your meal – around ½ of your plate – should include fruits and vegetables, which will provide your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs. ¼ of your plate should contain whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat pasta, which will lower cholesterol and supply you with iron and magnesium. The final ¼  of your plate should be made up of protein, such as tofu, lentils, and fish –  all of which contain amino acids that repair muscles and bones. 

Eating well isn’t just for those with health issues, it’s important for everyone, young or old, healthy or not. Pair a balanced diet including all six nutrient groups with regular exercise to take care of your physical and mental well being. Dr. William Li, author of Eat to Beat Disease and Medical Director of the Angiogenesis Foundation says, “Eat with intent…Use food to help your body become healthier,” because an apple a day really can keep the doctor away.