The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Club Spotlight: Wilcox Animal Group

Brianna Ortega
A WAG club bonding event with search and rescue dogs.

The Wilcox Animal Group or WAG has been a special part of the school community for eight years now. It was originally created as a way for people to learn about animal welfare issues, and of course, spend time with some furry friends. 

The club is continuing to grow, having gained around eighty members thanks to the recent Club Fair. It is currently run by President Brianna Ortega. WAG hosts fun activities and events that teach students about animal welfare and care, and it’s a great club for both budding veterinarians and animal lovers because it gives students hands-on experience with animals!

Wilcox alumni, Anna Jetvic, created WAG in 2015. She held club bonding events, a multitude of fundraisers, and even learning sessions with a real dog trainer. Last year, WAG held a workshop where members made dog toys out of T-shirts. These were later donated to the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, providing joy for countless dogs and puppies waiting for a permanent home. According to Brianna Ortega, WAG president and Wilcox senior, “Just last year [the club] was able to bring in the Santa Clara search and rescue dogs; and students were able to take pictures and interact with them.”

WAG is an incredibly rewarding club with a lot to offer. According to WAG secretary Nisha Naveen, “WAG is the perfect opportunity for animal lovers to meet one another and spend time with what they love the most. Not only this, but the environment in general at WAG events and meetings is wholesome and genuine because everyone shares a love for what they do.” Nisha is a sophomore at Wilcox with a special love for animals, often volunteering as a youth ambassador at Animal Assisted Happiness farm and spending time with her three-year-old cockapoo, Chestnut. She was the WAG fundraiser in her freshman year and wants to work as a wildlife veterinarian in the future. Nisha is looking forward to the stress relief visit WAG is planning for finals week, stating that “[the club] plans on bringing in farm animals from Animal Assisted Happiness so that these barnyard buddies can serve as the perfect mental break from the inevitable stress of finals for students.” 

Students can easily get involved in Wilcox Animal Group by attending the lunchtime meetings. There is always an announcement beforehand, as well as a post on the club’s Instagram page: @whswag. During these meetings, future gatherings and other important information are discussed, and it also gives students a chance to bond with fellow pet lovers. For more details, stop by the next meeting, fill out the google form on the WAG Instagram, or contact one of the officers: Brianna Ortega, Elania Soleil Del Real, Nisha Naveen, JieAn Liao, Alexis Vaile, Nadia Weinberg, or Michelle Wu. Brianna encourages students to join, mentioning that “WAG has so many opportunities for students to get involved with animals.”

WAG has numerous exciting events set up for the 2023-2024 school year. The club will be holding a fundraiser in October, where they plan to sell some sweet treats. The officer board is also planning a visit to a local animal shelter, where participating members have the chance to gain community service hours. WAG has reached out to various organizations to set up visits with some four-legged friends, bonding with animals is a great way to boost dopamine.

Overall, Wilcox Animal Group is an amazing club that benefits both animals and people. If you want to participate in something outside of school, WAG is a great place to start. It’s fun, friendly and gives students the opportunity to help local animal shelters, engage in community service events, promote animal welfare, and make new friends. Keep an eye on the club’s Instagram page for updates on the next meeting, you might even see a few cuddly friends there. Join WAG to bond with some cuddly critters and the Wilcox community!