The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Starbucks or Starsucks? Dunkin’ Donuts or Dunkin’ Do-Not?

The+Dunkin+Strawberry+Dragonfruit+Refresher+and+the+Caramel+Craze+Iced+Latte%2C+taken+at+the+Sunnyvale+Dunkin+store.+
Alexis
The Dunkin’ Strawberry Dragonfruit Refresher and the Caramel Craze Iced Latte, taken at the Sunnyvale Dunkin’ store.

Do you love coffee? Are you constantly looking for the next great refresher or latte? Personally,  I love trying new drinks, even if my bank account does not agree. Wilcox students deserve the best beverages, so I am comparing two of the biggest names in the drink world: Starbucks and Dunkin’. 

The Starbucks on Monroe Street is incredibly convenient, as it is within walking distance from Wicox. But would it still be so popular if there was a Dunkin’ store just as close? Starbucks is well-known as the “king” of the coffee world, with extremely popular, customizable products. But will it stay on top in this article? Medha Vinnakota, a sophomore at Wilcox, explains, “I prefer the Starbucks refresher because it’s sweeter and doesn’t have much of a bitter taste. However, the Dunkin refresher was still good and much cheaper.” Medha visits Starbucks often with her friends, usually grabbing a strawberry acai lemonade refresher with light ice for a sweet treat. 

After trying the Dunkin’ Strawberry Dragonfruit Refresher, I was incredibly underwhelmed. I was expecting something fruity and refreshing, but it left me with more of an overwhelming green tea flavor. It reminded me of a sour gummy soaked in tea with a dash of children’s medicine. In terms of appearance, it was aesthetically pleasing and the sunset colors made it perfect for Instagram photos or Pinterest posts. If you enjoy fruit tea, this is a beverage for you, but I found it disappointing. On the other hand, the Starbucks Strawberry Acai Lemonade Refresher was amazing. The sweet strawberry flavor compliments the lemonade very well, and it leaves you craving more. It is the perfect drink for a summer day, or really any time of the year.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Dunkin’ Caramel Craze Iced Latte, especially because I am not an avid coffee drinker. There was a clear coffee taste but it was sweet enough to be enjoyable (I did not add any sweetener). It’s Not a drink I would regularly order, but it was good for the morning as a quick treat before school or work. The latte was quite energizing, providing that classic coffee vibe without being overly strong. It’s the perfect drink for fairweather coffee drinkers looking for a boost, not true caffeine lovers. The Starbucks Iced Caffé Latte (with pumps of caramel) was strikingly similar. The coffee was definitely stronger, which gave the drink itself a slightly more bitter flavor. The Starbucks version was more flavorful, despite lacking Dunkin’s whipped cream and caramel topping. 

Directly comparing the two companies themselves, there is no doubt that they are vastly different. Starbucks generates a yearly revenue of around 34 billion dollars, while Dunkin’s stands at approximately 1.4 billion dollars. Starbucks provides more of a classic coffee shop ambiance, while Dunkin’ resembles more of a fast food restaurant. Because of this, Starbucks tends to be more costly, with a Venti-sized latte costing $4.15, compared to large lattes from Dunkin, which are priced at around $3.69. Dunkin’ has a lot more options for complete meals. Food at Starbucks is generally intended to accompany the drinks.

Overall, I prefer Starbucks to Dunkin’. Its drinks are sweeter, more flavorful, and more customizable. Both stores are great options for a quick refresher, although I think Dunkin’ is best in the morning and Starbucks in the afternoon. Everybody loves an underdog, but in this case, Starbucks’s popularity is more than warranted. I’m happy to say that Starbucks has left me starstruck!