The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Lance Stroll: Buying Your Way In

Lance Stroll’s car, an Aston Martin Mercedes AMR21. Courtesy of: Jaimie Wilson.

Lance Stroll has been a controversial figure in Formula 1  ever since he made his debut in 2017. However, Formula 1 viewers have been wondering whether he really deserves his seat next to the veteran Fernando Alonso in the Aston Martin Aramco Team. Compared to other drivers, Stroll has been in F1 for a longer while, but his performance and behavior have been met with mixed reactions. It raises questions if the only reason why Stroll was able to keep hold of his spot for so long in F1 was due to his wealth.

Formula 1 is such an exceptionally demanding sport, not only physically, but financially. The sport is very widely recognized as a “rich man’s” sport. The basic registration fee, according to Investopedia, starts at around a whopping $11,000. Not many drivers in F1, including the likes of Alex Albon, George Russell, and most prominently Lewis Hamilton, did not have the privilege of growing up wealthy. Their parents had to pay for a significant portion of their karting career before the drivers were able to attain sponsorships and kickstart their careers. 

However, that can not be said about Lance Stroll. While many drivers on the grid do come from wealthy backgrounds, what sets Stroll apart is that his billionaire father, Lawrence Stroll, owns the team he currently competes on. In fact, thanks to Lawrence, Lance was able to get his career in F1 secured in 2017 when his father paid Williams Racing $80 million dollars before he debuted in F1.

From then on, wherever Lawrence Stroll went, Lance Stroll followed. In 2018, Lawrence bought the Force India F1 team and it’s now currently rebranded to Aston Martin. It’s clear due to his father’s wealth, Lance indefinitely secured his seat in F1. This can’t be said for many other drivers who are constantly put under pressure to perform over the high possibility of losing their seats. Even veteran Daniel Ricciardo, who has proven to have quality performances for years end, is at constant risk with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

To gain some perspective, I spoke with Joshua Schermann, a student at McQueen High School who has been following F1 since 2010, about whether  Stroll really deserves his seat. “I think that if Lance Stroll’s father didn’t own a team, Lance would have a shorter career than he currently does, but he definitely has some potential,” Schermann states. “However, I think he has been in F1 for too long, and that there are plenty of drivers from junior categories or current F1 drivers that can do better.”

Overall, Lance is immune to the pressure and consequences many drivers in F1 face. If he messes up in F1, he’ll always have another chance, with the thanks granted to his father. While Stroll may possess some talent to a degree, it is clear that the only reason why he was able to secure a spot in F1 for such an extended period of time was due to his father’s money. It’s incredibly unfair to upstart talent, like Liam Lawson, who could definitely deliver higher performances to a better standard than Stroll can.