The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Humans of Wilcox: Rommy Kerem

A picture of Rommy. Courtesy of Oren Kerem

“Rommy is energetic, kind, makes me laugh, and is always there to talk to,” said Sai Rayaroth, a Wilcox sophomore and one of Kerem’s friends. Rommy Kerem is a sophomore at Wilcox, with a wide variety of hobbies and interests. 

Kerem has been a part of theater since her freshman year at Wilcox. She had helped with both of Wilcox stage company’s productions “Clue” and “Dracula,” last year, assisting in the creation of sets for both shows. This year Kerem will be playing Hendricks in Wilcox stage company’s fall production, “The Single Man,” opening on December 1st and another show on the 2nd, saying “I’m a little sad that I won’t be doing as much in the tech department, but I’m still glad to be part of the show.”

Izzy Gottfried, another one of Kerem’s friends and a sophomore at Wilcox, stated “Rommy is the only member of the set team and is very good at what she does. She is carrying the theater department on her back and is doing an amazing job at it.” Gottfried also commented, “Rommy is super funny and an overall amazing person.”

Kerem’s creative interests aren’t limited to theater, however. She also enjoys painting with both oil and acrylic paint. While she does not have a favorite thing to paint (Kerem says that she has enjoyed painting everything she’s tried so far), Kerem shared that she veers away from painting more typical objects. “I just like things with color and some personality. For example, I’m not going to paint a brown and gray boring modern building, but if it’s falling apart or it’s pink with a tree or something, I would definitely have more fun with that.” Kerem also mentioned how she enjoys using color and color variation in her paintings, saying “because usually real life is gloomier, but you can paint it to look more fun.” Kerem also enjoys using other mediums and drawing, saying that she’s looking forward to experimenting more with watercolor, though she thinks it may be harder to work with. 

Outside of her many hobbies, Kerem also enjoys spending time with her cat Zoe, saying that although “she always gets her fur everywhere, takes over couches, and falls asleep on her head.” Despite this though, Kerem stated, “Zoe is really awesome and she’s the cutest cat ever.”

Kerem also enjoys participating in sports, but not a sport like baseball or soccer. She enjoys Parkour for reasons many of the people enjoy the sports they take part in. “Parkour is really fun, I assume the reason is like any sport. You do it for the friends there, or the excitement when accomplishing something and learning a new skill or trick.”  However, Kerem also shared that she feels there is an aspect of creativity in parkour, “I like the creativity of it, how you can take a basic wall or platform and turn it into a part of a really awesome sequence or a way to do a skill. There are no rules, and people are constantly coming up with new things so it’s always evolving and changing.” While you may have seen people doing parkour on TV shows like the sitcom The Office, that is not entirely what Parkour is actually like in real life. However, there is a similar sense of community associated with the sport, according to Kerem. Kerem stated, “Parkour also doesn’t have the largest community of athletes, so everyone kinda knows each other. Overall, it’s just a really fun sport.” 

All in all, Rommy Kerem contributes to so much of the Wilcox community. Her creativity and dedication to any project she attempts or endeavors she takes on can be seen all over campus, from flyers advertising the latest production to the sets that can be seen on stage. The commitment that Kerem shows to her friends and the kindness she expresses to anyone that she meets are just a few of the ways that Kerem makes a positive impact on the community at Wilcox.