The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Memory Loss in The White House

Biden+pictured+defending+his+failing+memory+to+reporters.+
Gage Skidmore
Biden pictured defending his failing memory to reporters.

When President Joe Biden was elected to office almost exactly four years ago, many different people were worried for various reasons.  However, one concern no one expected was the possibility of memory loss. While the looming election casts a brighter light on everything relating to the candidates, another issue has gained attention:  leaked news from the White House containing worrisome whispers of misplaced documents and forgotten information pertinent to major decisions. 

While President Biden was elected in 2020 with major enthusiasm from many voters his overall popularity has drastically fallen. According to Reuters, a poll tracking website, Biden’s overall approval rating at the time of his election was well over 55%, but it has now plummeted to an all-time low of 37%. This drastic fall in support stems from many issues residents of the United States have with POTUS, including immigration law, international affairs, homefront extremism, and recently, concerns about Biden’s memory loss.

Reports emerging in recent months have shared the message that President Biden’s memory is faltering, with certain details slipping through the cracks, such as important dates, people’s names, and where he put special documents. In a report from AP News, journalists Josh Boak and Seung Min Kim reported on the special council’s report on President Biden’s handling of classified documents, describing, “the 81-year-old Democrat’s memory as “hazy,” “fuzzy,” “faulty,” “poor” and having “significant limitations.” For a President, clear and quick thinking are among the most important skills to have, especially when the weight of the world’s events rests on one’s shoulders. 

Further emphasizing the issue of memory loss,  the special report noted, “…that Biden could not recall defining milestones in his own life such as when his son Beau died or when he served as vice president.” Forgetting major life events like the passing of one’s own son is a significant and distressing development for the President of the United States, especially if it extends to forgetting the whereabouts of important agreements and new laws. 

Additionally, President Biden has only added fuel to the fire with his uncoordinated and embarrassing self-defense. “My memory is fine,” Biden responded Thursday night from the White House, where he grew visibly angry as he denied forgetting when his son died.” While defending oneself is expected Biden must maintain a calmer and more composed demeanor than the average person, as he represents the nation. 

On a more medically inclined note, neurologists have weighed in on President Biden’s memory loss. In an article for NBC, Dr. Akshay Syal stated, “Neurologists say blanking on the names of acquaintances or having difficulty remembering dates from the past, especially when under stress, can simply be part of normal aging.” In addition to being President, Biden is a person vulnerable to sickness, age, and weakness. There comes a point where the needs of an individual outweigh the demands of their job, a decision Biden and his team may need to consider soon.