The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Rants and Raves

Iced+lattes+give+the+most+refreshing+energy+boosts.+
Bilu Ligzda
Iced lattes give the most refreshing energy boosts.

Rants: 

Hallway Traffic: Imagine this– you’re two minutes away from being late to your next class, and you walk through the B-building doors to witness such a large crowd of teenagers that the hallway is almost unnavigable. As you worm your way through the masses, you’re slowed down by a group stopped in the middle of the hallway for no reason, people who are moving slower than the school wifi, and someone walking in the opposite direction crashes into you. Before you know it, the one minute bell rings and you have to book it down the hallway so you’re not late for your huge exam. Students creating traffic jams in the hallways can be pretty annoying, and they can also make you tardy on the day of an important test or essay. With only a five-minute window between classes, the hallways should be used for walking, not socializing.

Slow Internet: Technology is amazing, efficient, and fun… until the internet starts acting up. Whether your TV is being slow when you’re trying to watch Netflix, the game on your phone won’t start up because of the slow school wifi, or turnitin.com won’t load when you’re trying to turn in your essay at 11:59 p.m, we can all agree that slow wifi is a serious burden. I already feel unmotivated to start my homework after a long day of school and going to practice, and it only feels worse to sit staring at a loading screen for what feels like an eternity, especially when all I want to do is unwind with an episode of Dance Moms on Youtube. Although technology is definitely a blessing, it very easily becomes a significant annoyance. 

Lazy Group Members: There’s always a familiar groan throughout the classroom whenever it’s announced that groups for a project were picked by the teacher. I’ve participated in my fair share of group projects, and one lesson I’ve always learned is that you have to be patient with lazy workers. It can be exhausting to watch as one specific group member waits until the day before the project is due to start their part, only to do a poor job and expect you to pick up on the slack. Group projects can be very efficient as they give you collaborators to split the work with,but if one person in the group isn’t working up to speed, the entire group and project can quickly fall apart. It can be extremely frustrating to have to constantly remind another person to do their part of the job when they should be able to manage their work themselves. 

Raves:

Sunday Resets: After a long week of constantly working and never having a second to relax, all I want is a calm weekend and time to catch up with my busy life. On Saturdays, I like to go out with friends and do something fun to distract myself from the piles of work waiting for me at home. By Saturday evening, I come to the frantic realization that I have to lock in— and that’s what Sundays are for! I find that waking up early, making a healthy breakfast, doing laundry, cleaning my room, finishing up homework, and simply spending time by myself is a calming and productive way to spend my Sundays. It feels extremely rewarding to turn off my phone for a while and get as much done as possible. Suddenly, the hectic life of being a highschool student juggling advanced classes and multiple extracurricular activities feels a lot more manageable. 

Iced Lattes: It may be controversial, but I’d argue that a well-made iced latte is more refreshing than a Starbucks refresher. I find myself ordering a simple iced vanilla latte no matter what cafe I go to. Along with giving a nice jolt of energy to keep you going during the day, iced lattes have the perfect balance of bitterness and sweet that can fit almost any taste and any level of pickiness. If you like your coffee bitter, you could ask for less milk. You like a sweeter taste? Add a flavorful syrup! Not to mention, iced lattes are a great drink for any time of the year– even in the freezing winter cold, I’ll still order my usual iced latte every time without fail. They’re a classic drink that you can find pretty much anywhere, and are even easier to make in your own home. Overall, iced lattes are a classic that are the perfect beverage for anyone looking for a refreshing jolt of energy. 

Summer: There’s something good about every season, but nothing beats the familiar sense of joy that comes with the beginning of summer. Feeling the weather get warmer as school begins wrapping up for the year makes me long for summer every year. Once school gets out, life relaxes itself as the constant homework and exams are replaced with days tanning by the pool or hanging out with friends. The best part about summer? Going to the beach! The perfect time for a beach day is when the sun is out, the skies are clear, and school is out for the summer. Wear your bathing suit and bring a beach towel, a good book, and some fruit to snack on and you’ve got yourself the perfect summer day. The warm weather, fun outdoor activities, and time to relax and take a break from school easily makes summer the best season of the year.