The student news site of Adrian Wilcox High School in Santa Clara, California

The Scribe

The Scribe

The Scribe

Strange But True

Daniel Wilsey
104-year-old Dorothy Hoffner breaks records.

Kid Beats Tetris 

13 year-old teenager, Willis Gibson beat the classic Tetris game in just 38 minutes on December 21 of last year. Gibson is also known as Blue Scuti online, and has his own YouTube account, where he posted a video that showed the Tetris game crashing once he reached level 157. As seen in the video, as the game crashed, Gibson exclaimed,  “Oh my God! Oh my God. Oh my God. Yes!” He also said, “I can’t feel my fingers. I can’t feel my hands.” Willis was overjoyed. 

However, Pajitnov, an engineer who founded the game 40 years ago claims that Tetris is impossible to beat. He theorizes that there was a crash in the gaming program but not the game itself. Nevertheless, Gibson celebrates his success and dedicates his win to his father, who passed away last month. 

A vase bought at Goodwill turns out to be worth more than $100,000!     

A rare and valuable glass made by a famous Italian designer and architect of the mid-century, Carlo Scarpa, was recently bought by a thrifter in Virginia, Jessica Vincent for just $3.99 at her local GoodWill. The vase is designed with beautiful teal and maroon stripes and was created by a glass-making technique called the “pennalle,” meaning brush-stroke. This glass is made by blowing on the glass while adding opaque glass to it.  Because this technique is so rare and unique, there are not many vases like these in the world. Vincent suspected that this vase was worth buying because she saw a signature on the bottom of the vase. Through contacting people on Facebook, she was able to sell the vase to the Wright’s auction house. The vase sold for $107,100 and Vincent got to keep about $83,000 of it. 

104-year old woman is recorded as the oldest skydiver ever! 

104-year old Dorothy Hoffner, from Chicago, is the oldest skydiver ever! She last skydived for 7 minutes straight, from 13,500 feet up in the air with Skydive Chicago in Ottawa, Ill.  on October 1st. Hoffner only started skydiving when she was 100 years old. On her first dive, Hoffner needed to be pushed off the plane, but now she can confidently jump off the plane herself. After her dive on October 1st, she delightly tells the crowd that was celebrating her landing. “Age is just a number”. The next day, she died peacefully in her sleep at the Brookland Senior Center. Unfortunately, she died before she can be confirmed as the oldest skydiver ever on the Guiness Record. Hoffner’s accomplishments and adventurous nature is such an inspiration for the young and older generation of people today. She gives them hope that they can accomplish anything they set their mind to, as long as they are not scared to try it.